A Look at 2014 New Year Resolutions!

12:06 AM Unknown 0 Comments

Today, Let's think hard and total the numbers of 2014 New Year Resolutions (NYR) that we have fulfilled / achieved. Thereafter, we shall give it another go at 2015 NYR!

Ready~!?!

To be honest, 2014 was the first year that I set NYR and I had quite a hard time understanding this whole "Resolutions" thingy as I've never set any of those before as it's just not in our family culture.
Should it be more like a wish, "I wana become Richie Rich~"?
or should it be more like a self-motivation, "I wana become slimmer!!"?
and many many more in-between questions popped into my head....

Quick tip: If there is something I don't know, Google is always at my finger tips.
"Resolutions - firm decisions to do or not to do."



Taking a look at my past 2014 NYR

1. Get a job @ $2.5k
As a fresh graduate, finding a job or a destination for Graduation Trip is probably the first thing that comes into mind and I chose to find a job. It turns out to be the only resolution that I managed to clear (let's keep my pay a secret and be happy that I have a job) and others are still work-in-progress. I can only say that my lifestyle changed since I started work; it is no longer just going to school for that few hours/day, everyday is about performing at work and all I wana do after work is to relax or meet Audrey to dote and love her!

2. Run a 21k marathon
As I always miss the Army Half Marathon due to being rostered for in-camp duties in my army days, the furthest I ran was 10km during my Sergeant phase with a timing of 54 mins thereabout. So I told myself that I wanted to join Sundown / Standard Chartered. 
Didnt remember, didnt go for it and became FATTER~~

3. Get Silver for IPPT
The yearly obligation to pass IPPT for all Singaporeans who are still combat fit, so as not to go for RemedialTraining (RT) which is a far more gruesome and torturing process. Since I have to train for it, why not push myself to hit that Silver and get myself a new running shoe with the $200 incentive?

Then I trained hard for it, but had a fever on the morning of my IPPT slot. I immediately popped  panadol 1 - 2 hours before and flushed myself with more water. I maintained Silver for the static stations (Shuttle Run, Standing Broad Jump, Pull-ups & Sit-ups) and cranked myself to the limits for my 2.4km run that I barely passed by 5-10 secs. PHEW~ Even though I didn't get what I set out for, at least I don't have to go for RT anymore.... for the year 2014 and the story continues.....

4. Learn a language (French / German / Japanese / Korean)
I was determined to pick up a language for the reason that it is very useful and convenient in the countries that don't really speak English / Chinese when I go for my holidays. More importantly, I was hoping that knowing more languages will give me an edge of becoming a Steward with SQ. However, I have given up the thought and that shall be a story for another day...

5. Dote and love my girlfriend like a princess ;)
This is not in my original NYR, but is added by... 'AHEM'.
I thought this goes without saying? Since it is part of my NYR, I shall remind myself every once in awhile, but may be I can ignore the part on 'like a princess' haha.

6. Famous blogger & Youtube Singer
Also added by 'AHEM', but I think I was raving about blogging & singing at that point of time?
Tell myself to keep trying and going at it. Perhaps, I might succeed 1 day!


There is a saying, "We WIN some and we LOSE some (有得必有失)". Although I didn't get to the other resolutions, my 2014 is fun packed with activities throughout the year; I shall give you a quick rundown of all the blessings till now.

Beneath some of my photos,
click on the enlarged 'Headers' for more juicy bits of my thorough blogpost.

SEED Institute
Started my job hunt in Dec 13 and Jan 14, went for my 1st interview and was prepared to continue my search after CNY. Just 2 days before CNY, I was being offered the job and started right after CNY as a Marketing & Business Development Executive.
"Okay~ Can go PARTY now~~"


CNY 2014
For 25 years, I haven't heard or taste the famous Lin Zhi Yuan's Bah Kwa and I managed to get it within 30 mins of queuing. Can't iterate how lucky I am because it can take up to hours of queuing during the CNY period.



Open Water Diver
It may like a weekend at Tioman Island to get the license,
but definitely a trip that took a lot of effort!!


Batam with Audrey, APB & Zhi Hao
I haven't been a person who travels a lot,
but Audrey will always remind me to 'Work Hard, Play Hard'.


Garden by The Bay, Flower Dome
Nengy Yi actually managed to get his hands on a Nikon D810 for the weekend,
Tien Boon and I were fascinated to see its performance;
we decided to take it to the Flower Dome for a shootout~


"Being a critic is easy... until you try doing it.." - XM


Being invited to a surprise party,
Audrey & I gotta make it a day for Jay to remember!


Ah Boy to Man
This is my Brother on his BIG day!!

Does he resemble my Dad??


2013, Audrey celebrated my birthday with a Hong Kong trip.
2014, I requested a celebration that lets me explore Singapore!


World Cup 2014
Audrey &I took leave to watch the World Cup finals on 13 July 2014;
I know I am not a football fan,
but everyone loves to watch World Cup
as it only takes place every 4 years, right?


Fishing as a Hobby?
I had many sports as my hobby, but fishing ain't one of them.
Even so, I will like to try to catch a fish under Tien Boon's watch =)


Audrey Birthday 2014
Audrey had planned such a great celebration for me,
it is only right that I also plan a 3-days Birthday celebration for her!


Last Mambo in Zouk (or so they say~)
Mambo was only available on the eve of a public holiday in Zouk Singapore.


RMIT Graduation Ceremony
This ceremony was a long-awaited day since Nov 2013 and I just have to turn up for it!


Singapore Night Festival 2014
Don't want to pay for Museum's entry fees? No problem, go to quite a few of them in town for FREE on Singapore Night Festival. The best part is to squeeze with everyone right?


Singapore Polytechnic - School of Design Opening
I may not be a good designer,
but design is in my blood and I want to be part of S.D Opening!


Other Fun Things
<No idea whom to credit this, but let me know so I can add your name>
A quick sidetrack, how many movies have you watched that are on this list?
That's 14 for me~ not too sure if there will be more in 2015 =P



Top 5 Most-Likes Photos (2014) on @learnsmarto Instagram
Apparently, 4 out of 5 revolves around food & you gotta see it to believe it =)


Anyway, here's 3 Simple Steps to help achieve NYR
1. Keep the NYR as REALISTIC as possible, but slightly out of the comfort zone
2. Jot down a rough idea with as much details to point the general direction and have a whole year to figure how to accomplish... Or so I say :p
3. Share with someone who cares, so that they can remind me throughout the year!



Let's move on to set NYR for 2015 and we shall review them again at the end of the year!
I have quite a couple new NYR up my sleeves, but I am not going to share now.
敬请期待!

0 comments: